Welcome to the project website for the Uinta Basin Railway Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
The Seven County Infrastructure Coalition (Coalition) has filed a petition with the Surface Transportation Board (Board) requesting authority to construct and operate an approximately 85-mile common-carrier rail line connecting two termini in Utah's Uinta Basin near South Myton Bench and Leland Bench to the national rail network. The construction and operation of this proposed project has the potential to result in significant environmental impacts. Therefore, the Board’s Office of Environmental Analysis (OEA) has determined that the preparation of an EIS is appropriate pursuant to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- On December 15, 2021, the Board issued a final decision on the proposed Uinta Basin Railway. Click here to view the decision.
- On September 20, 2021, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued their Biological Opinion and concluded formal consultation under Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act. Please click here to view a copy of the Biological Opinion.
- On August 6, 2021, the Board issued the Final EIS. Click here to view the Final EIS files. Changes made to the Draft EIS appear in blue in the Final EIS. The Board will now issue a final decision on the proposed project after considering the Draft EIS, Final EIS, and all agency and public comments.
- OEA has a final, executed Programmatic Assessment that details future work for compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. Please click here to view a copy of the Programmatic Agreement.
- OEA has initiated formal consultation under Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act. Please click here to view a copy of the Biological Assessment submitted to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service initiating this formal consultation.
- OEA thanks everyone who participated in the Draft EIS review and comment process. The comment period is now closed. To see all public comments received on the Draft EIS, please click here.
- OEA has extended the public comment period for the Draft EIS a second time. The public comment period will now run through February 12, 2021. Click here to view the Notice announcing the comment period extension.
- OEA has extended the public comment period for the Draft EIS. The public comment period will now run through January 28, 2021. Click here to view the Notice announcing the comment period extension.
- Due to a technical issue with the project website from November 6, 2020 until November 24, 2020, requests to be added to the project mailing list during that time may not have been recorded. If you requested to be added to the project mailing list between November 6, 2020 and November 24, 2020, please resubmit your request by clicking here.
- OEA held six online public meetings to receive oral comments on the Draft EIS. Review online public meeting transcripts by clicking here. Click here to review OEA’s presentation at those online public meetings.
- On October 30, 2020, the Board issued the Draft EIS for public review and comment.
- The Coalition filed a Petition for Exemption with the Board on May 29, 2020. Click here to view.
- OEA issued a Notice of Availability of the Final Scope of Study for the EIS in the Federal Register on December 13, 2019. Click here to view.
- The scoping public comment period is now closed. Click here to learn more about the scoping process.
- Information from the July 2019 public scoping meetings is available to review. Click here to view.
- OEA issued a Notice of Intent and Draft Scope of Study for the EIS in the Federal Register, initiating the scoping process, on June 19, 2019. To see the Notice of Intent and Draft Scope of Study, click here.
- If you wish to be added to the project mailing list, click here.